Sunday, August 17, 2008

I really had to go!

Recently, I shared a funny moment from my school days with some online friends. This particular occasion occurred when I was in 1st grade.

When I was a scholarly first grader (grin), tetherball was my passion. However, the rest of the children on the entire playground used to love it as well, thus the waiting line to play was at least a mile long. Anyway, I was alllllmost to the front of the line. The clock was ticking. Recess was about to end. My heart was beating...thump-thump and I had to "use the facilities", as they say, really badly!

I was *not* going to lose my place in the line. So, I had an "accident" in my denim, big-bell bottomed jeans rather than lose my spot in the line for a trip to the bathroom! LOL! I vividly remember going into the nurses office to get a dry pair of pants (they had a reserve! LOL).
To avoid embarrassment, I told her that I fell into a mud puddle.

That excuse didn't work for two reasons: 1) It was as dry as the Sahara that day on the playground and 2) The odor emanating from the jeans did not smell like that of a mud puddle. LOL! I remember the nurse's expression as she took my pants from me. Too funny.

I just crack up when I think about that. What was I thinking?!!!

Kids do the funniest things ).

Someone shared an easy, no-knead artisan bread recipe on the Well-Trained Mind Board. This technique came from a book: http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes/dp/0312362919

There is also a demonstration by the authors on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

I have not tried the recipe and method yet. I am still a bread snob! Just today (even though it was humid and hot), our home smelled of "freshly-baked bread" aroma. I made 5 whole wheat sourdough loaves, with the help of my 11 year old boy.

Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice book is still my favorite. He gives the lowdown on making many sorts of bread. I like his explanations regarding using pre-ferments to produce delicious sourdoughs and artisan breads.

My favorite, hands-down, is the recipe for his Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread. Following the baking of the loaf, you rub it with butter and then roll it in cinnamon/sugar. MMMM...it produced a sweet crunch before breaking into the tender, cinnamon/sugar swirled slice. Don't forget the butter!

Have a great day! We begin our brutal stretch of football season tomorrow. My husband coaches our 8 and 11 year old. Our 14 year old twins are playing on the local high school freshman team.

Thank Heaven the littlers are very portable. I tell them to jump into the van, and off we go...:o)

Blessings,

Camy

**Please submit your comments HERE...thanks!