Friday, May 9, 2008

Toddlers and Their Compulsions

Today was "one of those days." It featured a toddler, a spray bottle of wood cleaner, & a napping mother. This is a bad trio.

All of us have been more tired than usual this week. It could be due to the slight cold we have running through the house.

As the afternoon was in session, it suddenly hit me that a nap was necessary. My eyes closed without a struggle, and the catnap commenced.

I was awakened by the sound of our 14 year old son's voice scolding his little toddler brother Sam.

Half-awake, my sloppy form stumbled on a diagonal path toward the dining room. My countenance became like that of a deflated balloon as I witnessed half of the dining room covered in wood cleaner spray. GRRRRRR. Sam's compulsion for spray bottles had seized him once again.

The disappointing fact is that I had already cleaned this room earlier in the day.

After muttering my disapproval in a slightly louder than normal tone, Sam just stared at me with those big brown eyes (now edged w/ crocodile tears). The dialogue went something like this:

"Sam! You are NOT to touch the spray bottles!" (gee..I wish I had a dollar for every time I have said this to him!)

"Yes, momma." (his usual reply to the above statement)

I then hugged him and told him I was sorry for getting angry. Sigh.

Toddlers and their compulsions!



Blessings :o)

No comments: